|Pravin Tambe Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||October 8, 1971|
Pravin Tambe is an Indian professional cricketer who has represented, as a frontline spin bowler, his home city team of Mumbai (2013-14–2016-17) in the Indian domestic circuit. In the IPL (Indian Premier League), he has played for Rajasthan Royals (2013–2015), Gujarat Lions (2016), and Sunrisers Hyderabad (2017). He had also competed in the 2020 edition of the CPL (Caribbean Premier League), turning out for the Trinbago Knight Riders. He had first come into the spotlight in the summer of 2013 when he had been selected by the Rajasthan Royals. He had never played professional cricket until then and during that IPL season, he went on to become the then oldest IPL debutant, at the ripe old age of 41.
Pravin Vijay Tambe
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Father – Vijay Tambe
- Mother – Jyoti Tambe
- Siblings – Prashant Tambe (Brother) (Engineer)
- 02 – Rajasthan Royals (IPL), Trinbago Knight Riders (CPL)
- 15 – Gujarat Lions (IPL)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Pravin has dated –
- Vaishali Tambe – Pravin and Vaishali have been part of a long-term marriage and were together, as of April 2023. They have 2 children together – a son named Pranav Tambe and a daughter named Pari Tambe.
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Cheerful smile
- Clean-shaven look
Pravin Tambe Facts
- Having started playing club cricket in the 1995-96 season, Pravin had to toil for several years in the heat and dust of Mumbai to make a name for himself. During his time as a club cricketer, he also used to hold down a day job.
- Before the IPL came calling in 2013, the closest he came to playing senior-level professional cricket was the span between 2000 and 2002 when he had been named in the list of probable players for selection to Mumbai’s Ranji Trophy (the premier domestic first-class cricket competition in India) squad. He was, however, not selected for the final squad.
- Although his IPL selection in 2013 was a surprise to many, his connection with the tournament had started much earlier. From 2008 to 2012, he used to work as a liaison officer whenever IPL matches were conducted at the DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai.
- He won his IPL contract after he was spotted by scouts during an invitational T20 tournament. He was a coach for one of the teams in that tournament but had to step in as a player after a first-choice bowler of that team got injured. He went on to grab 12 and guide his team to the title.
- At the 2013 Champions League Twenty20 (a now-defunct international T20 franchise tournament), he had won the ‘Golden Wicket’ award for topping the tournament’s wicket-taking charts (12 wickets in 5 matches at an astounding average of 6.50).
- In May 2014, he had recorded a hat-trick (the feat of dismissing 3 batters off 3 successive deliveries) in a match against the Kolkata Knight Riders. This was just the 12th such instance in the tournament’s history. He had also held the ‘Purple Cap’ (awarded to the highest wicket-taker in an IPL season) until the 25th match of that season.
- During the 2018 season of the T10 League, he had the first player to record a 5-wicket haul in the history of the T10 format. In the same match, he had also recorded a hat-trick, becoming just the second player to take a hat-trick in the league.
- In the 2020 IPL auction, he had been acquired by the Kolkata Knight Riders and had even withdrawn his 2018 retirement decision to play for them. However, he was disqualified by the IPL‘s governing body because he had played in the T10 League without getting proper permission from the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India), the sport’s governing body in the country.
- In July 2020, he had become the first Indian cricketer to get a contract in the CPL (Caribbean Premier League). The following month, he had become the first Indian cricketer to have played a game in the tournament.
- In April 2023, a biopic based on his life titled Kaun Pravin Tambe? (Pravin Tambe Who?) was released on the subscription video-on-demand over-the-top streaming service Disney+ Hotstar.
Featured Image by Pravin Tambe / Instagram