Mairis Briedis Height, Weight, Age, Family, Facts, Spouse, Biography
|Mairis Briedis Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||January 13, 1985|
Mairis Briedis is a Latvian professional boxer who had first come into the spotlight when he had won the vacant IBA (International Boxing Association) cruiserweight title in November 2013. He had retained that title in November 2014. He had won the vacant WBC (World Boxing Council) Baltic cruiserweight title in July 2014 and the vacant IBF (International Boxing Federation) Inter-Continental cruiserweight title in February 2016. In May 2016, he had won WBC Silver cruiserweight title and in April 2017, the vacant WBC cruiserweight title. He had retained the latter title in September 2017. In January 2018, after being unbeaten in 23 successive fights since the start of his professional career, he was defeated by Oleksandr Usyk, thus losing his WBC cruiserweight title. In June 2019, he had clinched the WBO (World Boxing Organization) cruiserweight title. In September 2020, he had triumphed in the final of the World Boxing Super Series (WBSS) in the cruiserweight category, consequently winning the IBF and vacant The Ring cruiserweight titles. He had retained those titles in October 2021. His September 2020 victory had also won him the prestigious ‘Muhammad Ali Trophy’, presented to the champion from each weight class in each edition of the WBSS.
The Latvian Punisher
- Father – Ints Briedis
- Mother – Zinaida Briede
- Siblings – Santa Briede (Sister)
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mairis has dated –
- Jūlija Briede (2008-Present) – Mairis and Jūlija had started dating in 2008 and they got married a few months later. They have 3 sons together named Brendans Briedis (b. 2010), Rafaels Briedis (b. 2015), and Gabriel Briedis (b. 2017).
He also has twin sons named Deivids Kristaps Briedis (b. 2006) and Ričards Daniels Briedis (b. 2006) from a previous unnamed relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Latvian descent.
- Toned physique
- Close-cropped hair
- Often sports a light stubble
- Has his right arm and upper right chest covered in tattoos
Mairis Briedis Facts
- Mairis had started his career in the mid-2000s as a full-contact kickboxer. Representing Latvia in the sport, he had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2008 Varna WAKO (World Association of Kickboxing Organizations) European Championships. He had also secured the ‘Bronze’ medal at the 2005 Szeged WAKO World Championships and the 2007 Coimbra WAKO World Championships. All these medals had come in the 86 kg category.
- He had transitioned to boxing in the late 2000s and had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2008 Riga Latvian National Championships, the 2009 Jelgava Latvian National Championships, and the 2011 Jelgava Latvian National Championships. All these medals had come in the heavyweight category.
- In his early 20s, he had also served as a Latvian State Police officer in Rīga before turning professional in 2009, aged 24.
- When he had won the vacant WBC cruiserweight title in April 2017, he had become the first Latvian to hold a world boxing title.
- The same year, he had been honored with the ‘Order of the Three Stars’, the highest civilian order awarded for meritorious service to Latvia.
- In October 2021, he had been ranked the world’s best active cruiserweight boxer by BoxRec, The Ring, and the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board. He had also been ranked the 8th-best active boxer, pound for pound, by BoxRec.
- As of January 2023, he had won 28 out of his 29 professional bouts. 20 of those wins had come via knockout.
Featured Image by Mairis Briedis / Instagram