Sports

Sergiy Stakhovsky opposes Rafael Nadal over Wimbledon’s ban

Rafael Nadal and Sergiy Stakhovsky are not on the same page as far as Wimbledon banning Russian and Belarusian players from this year’s tournament is concerned.

Spain’s Rafael Nadal reacts after winning the men’s singles final match against Russia’s Daniil Medvedev on day fourteen of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on January 31, 2022. – — IMAGE RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE – STRICTLY NO COMMERCIAL USE — (Photo by Martin KEEP / AFP) / — IMAGE RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE – STRICTLY NO COMMERCIAL USE — (Photo by MARTIN KEEP/AFP via Getty Images)

Rafael Nadal is a 21-time Grand Slam winner and has already won the Australian Open this year. After the All England Club decided that Russian, as well as Belarussian tennis stars, would be banned from this year’s Wimbledon, the legendary tennis player expressed his opinion on the incident.

Rafael Nadal deemed Wimbledon’s decision as “unfair”, the Spanish tennis legend told reporters in Madrid recently. Wimbledon has faced a lot of criticism from both ATP and WTA as well as many players for implementing the ban as a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Novak Djokovic, a 20-time Grand Slam winner himself, has also criticized the decision.

“It’s unfair for my Russian colleagues,” said Nadal. “In that sense it’s not their fault what’s happening in this moment with the war.

“I’m sorry for them. I wish it was not this way, but at the end of the day we know that this is what we have.”

“How is it fair that Ukrainians are dying ?” – Sergiy Stakhovsky

Sergiy Stakhovsky is a Ukrainian former tennis player who has a career-high singles ranking of World No. 31.

sergiy-stakhovsky
Sergiy Stakhovsky

The 36-year-old blasted Nadal for his view on Wimbledon’s ban on Russian and Belarusian players. Stakhovsky tweeted his response to Nadal’s comments asking how is it fair that Ukrainian players are not being allowed to return home. He also asked how is it fair that Ukrainian kids are not allowed to play tennis.

The ban rules out many talented players, including men’s world number two Daniil Medvedev. Last year’s women’s semi-finalist Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus will also be missing from action due to the ban.

The Spaniard hasn’t responded to Stakhovsky’s tweet as yet. Nadal will be seen in the Madrid Open and his first match is on May 3.

More Tennis news

Follow our dedicated Tennis page for instant Tennis news and updates

Related Articles

Back to top button