We need more frog-influenced platformers in our lives, right? Well, Frogun might just have us covered then. Even if you aren’t controlling an actual frog…
Today, developer Molegato and publisher Top Hat Studios announced that this nostalgic 90s-style platformer will be launching on the Switch on 2nd August. The game’s publisher describes Frogun as “an old-school platformer with the soul of the PS1/N64 era”, and it certainly looks that way. From the low-poly visuals and the unusual frog-grappling mechanics (your frog friend can be used as a grappling hook. It’s cute. But it’s weird because it’s also a gun), right down to the bubbly music, we’re getting the warm fuzzies just watching the trailer!
We have to say though, that the plot is a little bit concerning — the main character is Renata, who is left as a base camp by her parents who happen to be intrepid explorers. On their expedition, they go missing, leaving Renata to fend for herself and find her parents by herself. Well, she and her best friend Frogun. As long as it leads to adventure, hey?
Here’s what Top Hat has to share about the game from its press release:
Experience dozens of levels set across many uniquely themed worlds, encounter other mysterious adventurers, and find unlockable secrets, collectables and in-game achievements, as well as notes left by pirates, raiders, and previous explorers of the ruins. To reward collection maniacs, Frogun’s coins can be traded for unlockable cosmetics and behind-the-scenes peeks. Upon 100% completion of the game, players can unlock an expert time trials mode which provides a set of pro times to beat for each level and should serve as a speed runner’s dream, alongside a bonus dedicated speed-running mode.
– Explore colorful levels full of crispy pixelated ruins, freezing snow caps, and scorching lava swamps in a modern representation of the classic 90s 3D platformer aesthetic
– From levers to buttons, lethal traps, and adorable enemies, there are countless ways to use your Frogun to navigate the world
– Race across levels against Renata’s rival and take on the challenge of huge bosses
– Find secret areas and shortcuts by mastering the grappling mechanics
– Collect emblems by fulfilling level challenges
– Visit the hatter to trade your coins for hats, bestiary entries, behind-the-scenes looks at concept art, and more
– Unlock 2-player duel arenas to challenge your friends
– Over 30 achievements available on all platforms
– A posable photo mode to show off your creativity!
We’ll be hopping on over when Frogun hits the eShop on 2nd August because we’re ready for our dose of 90s nostalgia every single day.
What do you think of Frogun? Will you be picking it up? Give us a croak in the comments!