|Kumar Kartikeya Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||December 26, 1997|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Kumar Kartikeya is an Indian professional cricketer who has represented Madhya Pradesh (2018-19-Present) in all 3 formats of the sport in the Indian domestic circuit, as a frontline spin bowler. In the IPL (Indian Premier League), he has turned out for the Mumbai Indians (2023-Present).
Kumar Kartikeya Singh
Kuwasi, Baldirai, Sultanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
He splits his time between Madhya Pradesh, India, and Uttar Pradesh, India.
- Father – Shayam Nath Singh (Constable in the Pradeshik Armed Constabulary, a department of police in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh)
- Mother – Sunita Singh
He is represented by Abbot Media, Social Media & Talent Management Agency, Dewas, Madhya Pradesh, India.
Slow Left-Arm Orthodox, Left-Arm Wrist Spin
26 – Mumbai Indians
5 ft 9 in or 175.5 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a thick beard
Kumar Kartikeya Facts
- His passion for cricket meant that at the age of 15 he had left his native state of Uttar Pradesh and moved to Delhi. He had joined renowned cricket coach Sanjay Bharadwaj’s academy there and taught himself wrist-spin, arguably the most difficult skill in cricket. He had left home after promising his family that he would not let his passion for cricket add to the financial burden on his father.
- In Delhi, to pay for his food and lodging, he used to work as a laborer in a factory in Masuri, a village that is about 80 km away from the academy. He found shared accommodation near the factory and used to work in the factory all night before making it to the academy in the morning. He would often have to walk miles to save just INR 10 to buy a pack of biscuits.
- When his coach, Sanjay Bharadwaj, came to know about this, he offered to let him share the on-site accommodation he had for the academy’s cook. When the cook gave him his lunch on his first day there, Kartikeya began crying stating that he had not eaten lunch for a year.
- With his performances on the local circuit, he soon began knocking on the doors of the Delhi senior team. However, after repeated rejections, Sanjay advised Kartikeya to try and join the senior state team of Madhya Pradesh. In the state trial matches, he bagged 5-wicket hauls in every match and soon managed to break into the senior state team, across formats.
- In the 2021-22 season of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy (the premier domestic T20 cricket competition in India), he was the joint 2nd-highest wicket-taker for Madhya Pradesh with 5 wickets in as many games at an excellent economy rate of 5.05.
- At the 2023 IPL (Indian Premier League) mega auction, he was unsold. However, midway through the tournament, in April 2023, the Mumbai Indians had named him as Arshad Khan’s replacement for the rest of the season after he was ruled out due to an injury. He was signed up at his base price of INR 20 lakhs (approximately USD 26,000).
Featured Image by Kumar Kartikeya / Instagram