The ship was heading to the Saudi port of Jizan, just north
of Yemen, from the Yemeni Red Sea island of Socotra when it was attacked just
before midnight on Sunday, Saudi state news agency SPA reported, quoting
coalition spokesman Brigadier General Turki al-Malki.
Saudi Arabia is leading a military coalition that has been
battling the Houthis for more than six years. The alliance has accused the
Houthis of attacking shipping in the Red Sea, one of the world’s busiest
maritime lanes leading to the Suez Canal.
The cargo ship was hijacked off the western Yemeni port of
Hodeidah, the coalition said.
The Houthis’ military spokesman, Yahya Sarea, confirmed
seizure of the vessel which he said was carrying military equipment and engaged
in “hostile acts targeting the security and stability of the Yemeni
people”. He added that the crew, “of different nationalities”,
were still on board.
In a press briefing broadcast on the group’s Masirah TV,
Sarea shared photos and videos that he said they were of the seized ship
showing armoured vehicles, weapons and ammunition. He added the vessel had been
taken to the Houthi-controlled port of Salif, north of Hodeidah.
SPA said the vessel was carrying equipment from a shuttered
The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said
late on Sunday it had received reports of an attack on a vessel near Yemen’s
port of Ras Isa, which lies slightly north of Hodeidah, and an investigation
In an advisory issued at 2150 GMT, 0050 local time, UKMTO –
part of Britain’s Royal Navy – advised mariners to exercise extreme caution in
It put the vessel’s position at approximately 23 nautical
miles west of Ras Isa oil terminal in the Red Sea.
The last attack near Ras Isa was in late 2019 when the
Houthis briefly seized a Saudi-flagged ship and two South Korean vessels.