|Dutee Chand Quick Info|
|Height||4 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||February 3, 1996|
Dutee Chand is an Indian professional sprinter who had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2019 Naples Summer Universiade (100 m), the 2014 Taipei Asian Junior Athletics Championships (200 m), and the 2014 Taipei Asian Junior Athletics Championships (4×400 m). She had also secured the ‘Silver’ medal at the 2018 Jakarta Asian Games (100 m), the 2018 Jakarta Asian Games (200 m), and the 2016 Guwahati South Asian Games (100 m). She had clinched the ‘Bronze’ medal at the 2013 Pune Asian Athletics Championships (200 m), the 2017 Bhubaneswar Asian Athletics Championships (100 m), the 2017 Bhubaneswar Asian Athletics Championships (4×100 m), the 2019 Doha Asian Athletics Championships (200 m), the 2016 Doha Asian Indoor Athletics Championships (60 m), and the 2016 Guwahati South Asian Games (200 m). In August 2020, she was honored with the Arjuna Award, the 2nd-highest sporting honor in India.
Chaka Gopalpur Village, Jajpur, Odisha, India
She splits her time between Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India, and Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
Dutee had joined, in 2013, the Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT), a private deemed university in Bhubaneswar, to study law.
- Father – Chakradhar Chand (Weaver)
- Mother – Akhuji Chand
- Siblings – Saraswati Chand (Older Sister) (Sprinter), Rabindra Chand (Brother), Sanjulata Chand (Older Sister), Anjana Chand (Younger Sister), Pratima Chand (Younger Sister), Aliva Chand (Younger Sister)
100 m, 200 m, 4×400 m, 4×100 m, 60 m
4 ft 11 in or 150 cm
52 kg or 114.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Dutee has dated –
- Monalisa Sahu (2017-Present) – Dutee had first met Monalisa Sahu at a local religious festival in her village in 2017 and they began dating soon after. They had kept the relationship under wraps until February 2023 when they had revealed it all in a detailed interview with Kadambini, Odisha’s highest circulated monthly family magazine.
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Diminutive frame
- Ever-changing hairstyle
- Affable smile
Dutee, in August 2019, had been signed up on a 2-year endorsement deal by the German sportswear brand Puma SE.
Dutee Chand Facts
- Dutee was inspired to take up sprinting by her older sister Saraswati Chand who used to compete in running at the state level. They were enrolled in a government sports hostel in 2006.
- She holds the record of being the first Indian to win a ‘Gold’ medal in a 100 m race in a global competition.
- In 2016, she was appointed as an assistant manager in the state government-run Odisha Mining Corporation (OMC).
- Her ‘Silver’ medal at the 2018 Jakarta Asian Games (100 m) was India’s first medal in this event since 1998.
- When she won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2019 Naples Summer Universiade (100 m), she had become the first Indian sprinter to win a ‘Gold’ medal at the Universiade. She had clocked 11.32 seconds. She was also a flag-bearer during the opening ceremony of the event.
- In 2019, she had become India’s first athlete to openly come out as a member of the LGBTQ+ community. She faced severe backlash from her family and community due to this, with her eldest sister even threatening to expel her from the family.
- As of April 2023, she had held the Indian national record in the women’s 100 m event – 11.17 seconds (set in 2021).
- She had stated in an interview that she would retire from international competition at the end of the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris.
Featured Image by Dutee Chand / Instagram