Bangladesh Postal Service is a government agency working to offer its nationwide system a wide variety of basic postal services and ICT-based digital postal services. This is the only postal service of the government to have the whole country connected. The post office of Bangladesh offers a variety of mailing facilities throughout the country, via a chain of 9886 post offices.
How Many Post Offices in Bangladesh?
The Bangladesh Post Office states that their area of operation is split into five areas throughout the country, with five postmaster generals. There are 9,886 post offices with 1,426 post offices that are divisional and another 8,460 postal offices that are non-divisional.
General services provided by Bangladesh Post Office
- Internal postal service:
- Newspapers and periodicals
- Books / Packets
– Delivery time: 2-3 days, depending on destination distance and communication.
– Registered postage arrives more securely.
– Charges: There is an additional registration fee of Tk 4.00 for postage stamps.
– When registration is compulsory-
- If the weight of a parcel is more than 5 kg and if the aircraft is a parcel.
- In case of any insurance parcel.
- In all cases where duty exemption is applicable.
- In case of any stamped product or labeled product.
- If any product carries registration or any other condition or any such word.
- In case of any price payable (VP) goods.
- Express mail service (EMS)
EMS is used for sending international mail fast. The service is
– Fast, reliable, and accurate service.
– Includes sorting, sending, carrying, and delivery in special arrangements.
– EMS is available in 43 countries.
– Can be tracked on the internet.
– Weight that can be sent ranges from 20 grams to 20 kg.
Kinds of things that can be sent are –
You can calculate the rate for EMS in each country through the calculator provided here.
- Guaranteed Express Post (GEP)
This is a special type of internal postal service. It is spread over the district headquarters and major sub-districts. This service ensures more secure and faster delivery. Products delivered through GEP are guaranteed to be delivered on time.
GEP Rate Bangladesh
- BDT 10.00 for the first 20 grams and its portion.
- BDT 12.00 on the next 50 grams up to 20 grams.
- And BDT 2.00 extra for every 50 grams or part thereof.
- Electronic Money Transfer Service (EMTS):
It is very easy to send money from one end of the country to the other in a matter of moments through Electronic Money Transfer Service (EMTS). Whatever the customer’s address, he can send and receive money from any post office in the country. At present, this service can be used for very low commission (0.05%).
There is an opportunity to pay salaries/allowances to the destitute elderly, Rohingya allowances, and employees of various organizations through mobile money orders. Red Cross-Bangladesh has also been providing financial assistance through EMTS in the past. Even the admission fee of the students admitted to the university can be collected through EMTS. Besides, initiatives have been taken to distribute the pension through the service of various government institutions.
In Bangladesh Post Office, the quantity of postal office staff is approximately 41,000, with 17,000 departmental and 24,000 non-departmental employees. There are workers from Class 1 to Class 4, where BCS (postal) cadres are 193 and non-cadre Class 1 are approximately 42. Extra departmental staff mostly earns fixed wages in remote regions.